Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Danny - From Brittany Weight Szymanski

Danny was one of the first friends I made when we moved to Clinton the summer before 7th grade.  We went on a walk with Pongo and Perdy, and he was outside playing with Kris Lightfoot and Brandon Nott.  He invited us to play night games, and before i knew it, I found myself in a group of friends that would impact the rest of my life.  Summers found us playing night games like kick the can and ghost in the grave yard.  When we entered high school, we spent time listening to the awesome band "One Car Pile Up."  Those are some of my fondest memories.

Danny was always the first one to welcome new people into our group of friends.  When a troubled boy, Jamey Chandler, moved here from Lousianna in hopes of getting away from his friends, Danny invited him to hang out with us.  He introduced Jamey to a level of fun without getting into trouble or drinking.  A year later, Jamey entered the MTC a week after Danny did, and served a successful 2 year mission.  Danny's influence has had a ripple effect, that just keeps touching others for good.

I can't walk by one of those machines you put the quarter in and use the crane to get a stuffed animal without thinking of Danny.  I have at least 3 of his prizes that he had given to me when I had a bad day.

Something else Danny did, that will always be dear to my heart, was the Thanksgiving of our sophomore year.  My mom was going through a divorce, and things weren't too happy around the holidays.  Danny had called all of our friends together, and they had each taken left over pieces of their Thanksgiving dinners. assembled them and delivered them to our family Thanksgiving night.  I don't know how many people would be so selfless and generous to think of something like that.

I hope I'm not overloading you with things, but there are so many to share.  Here are a few of the funnier moments I had with Danny.

He gathered a group of us together one cold night our first year in college to go night skiing.  I had never been before, and I was terrified!  He showed me how to make an A with my skis to slow down and stop.  Then we got on the ski lift to the top of Powder Mountain.  What Danny forgot to tell me, was that as soon as you get off the lift, you will be on the top of the mountain, and starting to ski downhill.  I had no idea what I was doing,  and I started going really fast. I couldn't keep my skis in an A shape, screaming the whole time.  Danny was laughing, trying to help me, when finally I just made myself fall in order to stop.  I think I spent the rest of the night in the lodge, while they skied. :)

In high school we went to temple square to see the Christmas lights.  It was a cold night, and on the way home it started to snow, and the roads were wet and icy.  Poor Danny got stuck riding in the car with Brett McAlister.  Brett was known for being a pretty reckless driver.  (Sorry to tell you this one Denise!)  As soon as we got back to the Lightfoot's house, Danny came in and fell to the floor, kissing the ground.  He was so happy to be home, and out of the car of Brett's scary driving. :)

Another time I was home alone and Scream (the scary movie) was on tv.  Danny called to see if I wanted to go over to Josh Palmer's house.  I told him I was watching Scream, and I was too afraid to drive somewhere.  (Don't ask me why I was even watching it, when I am alone, and such a baby, I hate scary movies anyway!)  So, being the kind gentleman he was, he offered to pick me up.  When I got in his Bronco, he was turned around, like he was looking at something in the back seat.  I put my seat belt on, all the while wondering what in the world he was doing.  When he abruptly turned right to me, with his face a few inches from mine.  He was wearing the same mask they used in Scream.  I was so so mad at him for an hour.  He laughed and laughed.  I think I probably punched him good for that. :)

Danny was such a good friend to me, and to everyone else.  A true gentleman, and genuine nice guy.  He always made sure to ask me how I was doing, sincerely wanting to know the answer.  He was a great example of the Savior, and his testimony shined right through him.  I am thankful for his friendship.  Those pivitol years of high school is when I gained my testimony, and a strong sense of who I was, and who I wanted to be.  I am so glad I had shining examples of friends who loved the gospel and encouraged each other to do good, and make the right choices.  My life would have been much different, had I never met the boy who invited me to play kick thet can that summer night of 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment